SHORT STORY: SMILE OR CRY

CHAPTER 4: COINCIDENCE?

On the weekends, usually Ethan would go to somewhere else for his breakfast but he do not know why his instinct brings him to his favourite café of all time, Summertime Café. He steps out from his car and lock it. Then, his phone is ringing. ‘Oh it’s Greg. Why would he looking for me early in the morning today?’ he thinks. He picks the call while he is walking to the café.


Suddenly, there is something or probably someone accidentally struck him from the back. He almost falls and drops his phone but he manages to stabilize himself. At the same time, he heard woman screaming from his back. He turns back quickly. Then, he surprise to see that is Emma who hits him from the back.


“Oh,hi Emma!” said Ethan. “Err hi Eth! I’m sorry for hitting you just now. I was looking at my phone.” said Emma and she bows her head. “No worries,it’s okay. My phone is okay too. It’s my fault too for walking too slow, I’m blocking your way.” said Ethan while stratching his head which is not itchy at all. Emma gasps and said “You dropped your phone?”. Ethan shakes his head and said “Luckily, I’m not. If it drops, you’ll have some bills to pay.” Emma’s face blush and she grins.


“Well,Emma, would you like to have breakfast with me if you don’t mind?” suddenly Ethan asks her. Emma said “Sure,why not? In addition we can talk about each other.” Ethan nods and smile. As they walk into the café, they sit at a table for two beside a wall. On that wall,there is a beautiful sunset painting. Then a waiter comes to their table to take their orders. They both order a piece of bread with peanut buttr spread, a milk tea. “Eth, why not you order for me and I order for you?” said Emma. Ethan said “great idea from you, young lady. Sure.”. Emma orders a bowl of noddle with soup for Ethan and Ethan orders a bowl of century eggs porridge for Emma. Ethan tells Emma that he wants to make a call and he goes to outside of the café. He calls Greg and tells him what happens earlier. Greg said “well done,bro. About our plan just now, just cancel it. I give chance for you to hangout with Emma. I’ll go with my girlfriend.” Ethan replied “Thanks bro. Have a nice day! Byeeee” Then, he back to their table.


“So, Eth,please tell me about yourself.” Asks Emma as he sit on his chair. “Umm.. about myself. Well, I’m the eldest child. One and only son. I had a brother but he passed away when he was 20 years old. My dad passed away too. My mom lives with my sister,Savannah. My younger sister, Sheryl. She is still single while Savannah is married with David. They both live in Kuching.” Emma said “Ohh.. I’m sorry about that. What is the cause your brother and dad’s death?” Then, Ethan said “In year 2002, my brother drove my dad’s car. He drove from Kuching to Sibu to go for an interview. While he was driving, a bus lost control and accidentally hit his car from in front. He was critically injured by the glass and he had frozen blood on his brain. My dad, he passed away because he was suffered from weak heart. He passed away 2 years after my brother.” Emma said “Ohh my.. I know how you feel because I lost my father too. He also suffer the same disease as your father.”


“It looks like we have things in common. So tell me about youself more.” said Ethan. “Well, I have brothers. I’m the second child. My eldest brother is running my dad’s company now. My youngest brother is studying in Australia and he is staying with my mom.” Ethan said “wow, your father has a company. What kind of company?” Emma said “my dad’s company supplies building materials for contractions.” Ethan asks“are you working? What is your job?” Emma said “yes, I’m working as businesswoman. I open a boutique and a mini bakery.” Ethan said “wow I’m impressed! So what do you do in weekends usually?” Emma explains to Ethan that she always do a charity work on weekends. She will go groceries shops and wet markets daily to buy the poor people needs. Also,she will gives groceries to the orphanage that her father used to help.


“Wow again. You impress me. Your dad is a proud dad.” Said Ethan. “Yupp he is. And he is my inspiration to do the charity action and the business.” Said Emma. “I know, like father like daughter.” Said Ethan with smile. After talking for a few minutes while waiting for food, finally their food arrive and they start to eat.



“That’s a great food you choose for me. Thank you.” said Ethan. “Thank you for paying those too, Mr Superman.” Emma reply. 

While they were eating at the café, Emma said that she wants to bring Ethan to a birthday party for the orphans at the orphanage house. So, they both go there as Ethan is agree with Emma’s plan. In addition, he has nothing to do on weekend and he wants to experience something new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUM BELAJAR BAHASA SARAWAK!

OPERATION MANAGEMENT

NOSTALGIA : ZAMAN SEKOLAH PART 2